Can default geometry be set?

Please use this forum for open discussions about Bouml.
Merci d'utiliser ce forum pour des discussions ouvertes à propos de Bouml.

Can default geometry be set?

Postby thomas.beale » Thu 22 Mar 2012 16:40

I would like to set default inheritance geometry to be the typical bent right angle connector (last option on geometry menu) for all class diagrams. Is there a way to do this?
thanks
- thomas
thomas.beale

Re: Can default geometry be set?

Postby Bruno Pagès » Thu 22 Mar 2012 17:03

Hi,

today this option doesn't exist, by default lines are strait lines, your request seems strange for me, for instance to not have strait lines between two elements on the same horizontal/vertical will produce a poor result, but may be you never place elements like that. However if you want I add it don't hesitate to add a feature request

to be frank I know the main missing feature is the automatic placement of the elements depending on their connexions more the automatic tracing of the relations between them. I tried to add that one year ago but I didn't success :oops:
ImageAuthor of Bouml
Bruno Pagès

Postby thomas.beale » Fri 23 Mar 2012 17:15

I can see that there might be some technical issues with the default geometry being the Z shape, but for inheritance, this is the normal shape. When I build a diagram, I have 20 mouse clicks that would not be needed if this geometry could be defaulted!

My experience is not to try and compute automatic 'nice' positions for classes & lines. There is no hope of competing with a human for this, and in any case, most people will do it differently - how can an algorithm guess what any person wants?

- thomas
thomas.beale

Postby Bruno Pagès » Fri 23 Mar 2012 19:02

thomas.beale wrote:There is no hope of competing with a human for this, and in any case, most people will do it differently - how can an algorithm guess what any person wants

I fully agree this that, a program can't be extra lucid even some people hope that !
ImageAuthor of Bouml
Bruno Pagès

Return to Open discussions / Discussions ouvertes