Relation visibility on class diagram doesn't work properly

Please use this forum to signal bugs.
Merci d'utiliser ce forum pour signaler des bugs.

Relation visibility on class diagram doesn't work properly

Postby thomas.beale » Wed 21 Mar 2012 20:44

In a class diagram, if I select a relation between two classes and right click, then select 'remove from diagram', this has the effect of making the diagram global relation visibility setting 'No', which can be seen on the dialogue you get when you right-click and do edit drawing settings. When I then drop another class from the model explorer into the same diagram, no relations at all are shown. If I think change the setting on the drawing settings dialog back from 'No' to 'default', then all relations re-appear, including those I specifically chose to remove from the diagram.

Platform: BOUML 5.0.1 / Windows 7
thomas.beale

Re: Relation visibility on class diagram doesn't work proper

Postby Bruno Pagès » Wed 21 Mar 2012 21:39

Hi,

the behavior you describe is the expected one, this means there is no bug.

when the drawing setting draw all relations values yes (including by 'inheritance' from an higher level because it values default) all the relations between the elements are drawn when you add an element having relations with already present elements (or self relations) or when you add a relation (through an other diagram) between shown elements etc

when it values false (including by 'inheritance') the relations between the elements are not automatically drawn when you add an element etc, however it is possible to create a new relation between elements (or a self relation) drawing it as usual, and you can also ask for to draw an already existing relation between elements (or a self relation) just by doing a drag & drop of the relation from the browser into the diagram (whatever the positions where the drop is done of course in this special case).

so to resume there is no way to ask for to draw automatically all relations except some of them as it seems you supposed.
ImageAuthor of Bouml
Bruno Pagès

Postby thomas.beale » Wed 21 Mar 2012 23:14

But the problem is that if I do 'remove from diagram' on a particular link, after that, all links stop being drawn. That is not expected behaviour.... it should just a) hide that relation and b) leave the setting for relation visibility as before.
thomas.beale

Postby Bruno Pagès » Thu 22 Mar 2012 05:53

I miss to say the setting is global to the diagram and applies to all relations (already drawn or potentially drawn later, the historic doesn't matter).

When I introduced this setting several years ago it wasn't global to the diagram but I changed that after a short time because I considered this wasn't practical, however if you expect to also have a non global settings don't hesitate to ask for a change request.
ImageAuthor of Bouml
Bruno Pagès

Return to Bug reports / Rapports de bugs