rewrite code reverse plugins to use clang

Please use this forum to ask for a new feature or to change an existing feature.
Merci d'utiliser ce forum pour demander de nouvelles fonctionnalités ou la modification de fonctionnalités existantes.

rewrite code reverse plugins to use clang

Postby kikeenrique » Mon 8 Jul 2019 23:36

Hi Bruno,
Would you ever consider rewriting the code for current plugins for reverse engenieering.
I mean, if you use clang project tools, you could have an always up to date parser than would clean reversing code plugins. An it will avoid any lexical code error, etc.
Examples of apps using clang... --> https://clang.llvm.org/docs/ExternalClangExamples.html

Thanks for your time.

--
Enrique
kikeenrique

Re: rewrite code reverse plugins to use clang

Postby Bruno Pagès » Tue 9 Jul 2019 18:29

Hi Enrique,

I am not sure to understand what you mean, do you want I reimplement the plug-outs doing the reverse/roundtrip for the managed languages using clang to perform the parsing ? If yes why ? You know the problem is not only to parse the files, a reverse is much more of that and a roundtrip is very much more of that

Please explain.

Kind regards
Bruno
ImageAuthor of Bouml
Bruno Pagès

Re: rewrite code reverse plugins to use clang

Postby kikeenrique » Wed 10 Jul 2019 14:19

First, I don’t have full knowledge if this would work for Bouml.

What I mean is that rewriting the parsing engine, using entities and concepts from clang lib, would avoid current parsing errors, due to possible uncompilable code, lost definitions, new language features, compilation flags, etc.
Also, it would be easier to support more languages.

My point is to ensure a robust and wider parsing, avoiding to implement and maintain custom parsers.
A similar movement to that which all programming IDE have performed adopting LSP.

I’m not aware of all the work behind reverse and roundtrip, I can just imagine a portion.
kikeenrique

Return to Change requests / Demandes d'évolution