BoUML does not save name of State Machine's pseudostate

Please use this forum to signal bugs.
Merci d'utiliser ce forum pour signaler des bugs.

BoUML does not save name of State Machine's pseudostate

Postby petr.fedorov » Wed 20 May 2020 18:41

I'm using BoUML 7.9.1 on Debian 10. A Name value entered for a state machine's junction is not saved:
The same problem exists for the other pseudostates: joice, fork, terminate.
petr.fedorov

Re: BoUML does not save name of State Machine's pseudostate

Postby Bruno Pagès » Wed 20 May 2020 19:29

You are right their name is not saved (nor read).

Pseudo State inherits Vertex, and Vertex inherits NamedElement (and RedefinableElement) so Pseudo States can have a name, but it will not be written in diagrams.
ImageAuthor of Bouml
Bruno Pagès

Postby petr.fedorov » Thu 21 May 2020 08:04

In addition, it seems that UML specification implies that Signals on a state machine diagram must have names and the names must be displayed on the diagram. Clause 14.2.4.8.2 Signal receipt symbol says:
The names of the Signals of the Trigger as well as any guard are contained within the symbol as follows: ...
and clause 14.2.4.8.3 Signal send symbol says:
The notation corresponds to the notation for the SendSignalAction (see sub clause 16.3.4).
and in 16.3.4.3 Send Signal and Send Object Action we read:
A SendSignalAction is notated as a convex pentagon with the name of the Signal placed inside it.
Also it appears that Action must have name too, but name is not shown on the diagram. Clause 14.2.4.8.1 Action symbols says:
Each action symbol is represented by a rectangle with an optional textual specification of the action. It maps either to an OpaqueAction or to a SequenceNode containing one or more Actions executed in sequence (see sub clause 16.11.3) and which are part of the Activity specifying the effect Behavior of the appropriate Transition in the compound transition.

My understanding is that it is "textual specification of the action" should be shown, not name.
petr.fedorov

Postby Bruno Pagès » Sat 23 May 2020 21:14

petr.fedorov wrote:In addition, it seems that UML specification implies that Signals on a state machine diagram must have names and the names must be displayed on the diagram. Clause 14.2.4.8.2 Signal receipt symbol says:
The names of the Signals of the Trigger as well as any guard are contained within the symbol as follows: ...
and clause 14.2.4.8.3 Signal send symbol says:
The notation corresponds to the notation for the SendSignalAction (see sub clause 16.3.4).
and in 16.3.4.3 Send Signal and Send Object Action we read:
A SendSignalAction is notated as a convex pentagon with the name of the Signal placed inside it.
Also it appears that Action must have name too, but name is not shown on the diagram. Clause 14.2.4.8.1 Action symbols says:
Each action symbol is represented by a rectangle with an optional textual specification of the action. It maps either to an OpaqueAction or to a SequenceNode containing one or more Actions executed in sequence (see sub clause 16.11.3) and which are part of the Activity specifying the effect Behavior of the appropriate Transition in the compound transition.

My understanding is that it is "textual specification of the action" should be shown, not name.

What you name "textual representation of the action" is named behavior in the dialog of a state action (expression in a plug-out), and it is drawn in the diagram depending on the settings specifying for which language.

For me a Signal receipt is a State Action stereotyped receive-signal, that implies the names of the Signals of the Trigger as well as any guard must be enter through the behavior (I can imagine to rename behavior in the dialog depending on the stereotype but I cannot change the name of the operations in a plug-out while I use the class UmlBaseStateAction / UmlStateAction)

For me a Signal send is a State Action stereotyped send-signal, so you also have to use behavior.
ImageAuthor of Bouml
Bruno Pagès

Return to Bug reports / Rapports de bugs